Saturday 24 February 2018

Thoughts during a Lenten fast



I’ve almost forgotten the days of plenty before Lent, and see that Easter now lies almost within reach. As usual, I’ve given up many things for Lent but also taken things up to replace them. I’ve given up many of the luxuries that cost so much and damage my body, mind or spirit. And I’m reading more, praying more, and meditating on the loving purposes of God.
    The initial shock of renunciation has now faded into some thing between dull resentment and the realisation that it’s actually doing me a lot of good. I’m recognising afresh that the reason behind Lent is a spiritual equivalent of circuit training before a race or cramming before an exam. I’m getting myself ready: I’m doing it all for an achievable end goal.
     My twin Lenten tasks of giving up and taking up are done with intent. It can be easy to forget how the main focus of Lent is not to watch my purse or my waistline, or to feel satisfaction at any growing sense of self discipline. I’m doing it to enhance my chances of salvation.
     We don’t gain eternal life through fasting and prayer. They are merely a means to an end. The principal purpose of Lent is to know God better and thereby serve Him better; to love Him better and thereby show Him to a needy world; to aim for Christ likeness and thereby make ourselves available to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment